Continuing Education Unit Programme
As part of CEDIA’s commitment to raising the standards of education within our industry, we are revising the procedures for our Trade Supplier members to get their own training courses certified for CEDIA CEU (Continuing Education Units) points. CEDIA does recognise the contribution of trade suppliers to industry training, and is keen to integrate these courses into its CEU point’s scheme.
CEDIA CEU Programme is a means to ensure that CEDIA Certified Professional increase their industry and technical knowledge and keep abreast of current developments. A CEU is a numeric value placed on educational and product courses based on the content and length of the course. Each course that offers CEU must register with CEDIA prior to delivery of the course.
CEDIA certification is valid for a period of three years. For the CEDIA Certified Professional to maintain their certification beyond the three years they must provide documentary evidence of obtaining 30 CEUs throughout that period. No more than 5 CEUs may be obtained via manufacturers’ education, per class and of those 30 required CEUs, no more than 15 units may be obtained via manufacturer education. On providing proof of 30 units the professional will be certified for a further period of three years and a certificate reissued for a further three years. If there is a time lapse past three years or a failure to produce evidence the professional will need to take the examination for certification again.
We have further enhanced the scheme by introducing a international register of CEU certified courses. Once a course has been accredited for CEU points by any of the CEDIA offices, it will gain CEDIA certified attendees CEU points regardless of where the course is presented.
The award structure is as follows:
- CEDIA Core Course (1 hour) = 1 CEU Points (maximum 5 CEU Points)
- CEDIA Core Course (3 hours) = 3 CEU Points
- CEDIA Core Course (8 hours) = 5 CEU Points
- CEDIA Seminar (1.5 hours) = 0.75 CEU Points
- Approved Generic Industry Course (1 hour) = 1 CEU Point (maximum 10 CEU Points)
- Approved Product / Manufacturer Course = 0.5 CEU Points per hour (maximum 10 CEU Points)
- Approved CEDIA Training Provider = 0.5 CEU Points per hour
- CEDIA Certified Instructors (1 hour) per venue = 2 CEU points
- CEDIA On Line Learning = specified prior to signing up for the course
- CEDIA committee volunteers gain 3 units per year of volunteer work.
- NO CEU points will be awarded to courses that only promote company, product or range of products without giving participants a better understanding of either generic concepts or how to use the products more effectively.
Submission Procedure and Guidelines
• Courseware should be submitted to the CEDIA office where your CEDIA membership is registered. Please submit electronically to either
- •Laura Pfleger – LPfleger@cedia.org (CEDIA Americas)
- •Education Dept – email@example.com (CEDIA Asia Pacific)
- •Hannah Campbell – firstname.lastname@example.org (CEDIA Europe, Africa, Middle East and South Asia)
The following materials need to be submitted -
(Any and all submitted materials will be treated in the strictest confidence and will not be used or distributed in any way beyond what is necessary for the CEU accreditation procedure)
- A completed CEU application form
- A PDF version of any slides
- A PDF version of any handouts or workbooks used
Where much of the course is workshop based, please provide an overview of the learning objectives and a timetable for the day (s).
- Where there are significant differences to the course when it is presented in different regions and/or countries, these differences need to be documented. Please contact
- CEDIA Staff will accredit the course within 20 working days.
- Once accredited, the course will be given a course code and will then appear on the Global list of CEDIA CEU accredited courses.
- Once accredited, it is your responsibility to inform the relevant CEDIA office of your training schedule. This will enable the CEDIA office to post the course in order to enable attendees to register for their CEU points.
CEDIA acknowledges that an individual may pursue a course of learning that is outside the remit of CEDIA formally accrediting that course. In this instance, the individual can submit a petition for CEU points to be allocated to that learning. The criteria for awarding the course CEU points are -
- The course must benefit the individual’s company activities. Courses that are for purely personal gain will not be recognised.
- The course must be delivered by a recognised education/training provider.
- The course must have an exam or test at the end of it and the individual must pass this to the satisfaction of the training/education provider.
- The award of points is entirely at the discretion of CEDIA. No more than 10 points will be allocated for any course of learning.
CEDIA will hold information in their database about courses, certification and CEUs, but it is up to the individual to provide proof of their training by keeping accurate records and proof of attendance of all their training courses.
CEDIA’s Educational Facilitator will ensure that all training at CEDIA events shows the value of the CEU awarded with each individual course.
Please do not hesitate to contact CEDIA if you have any questions regarding the CEU point system.